- This event has passed.
Chasing The Light….
January 31 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm UTC+5.5
YPS Meet Live | January 31, Sun | 5:30 PM | YPS Facebook Page and YouTube Channel
Chasing light is what every photographer enjoys doing, for it is one of the most important ingredients in a picture to make people say ‘Wow’.
Brian Hopper has been at this since he was a little boy, borrowing his dad’s camera. The chase has resulted in many awards and accolades including his successful panel of pictures submitted to The Royal Photographic Society. He is the proud possessor of 20 FIAP Blue Badges – a national record! Dec 2020 has culminated in him being appointed the Regional Organiser in Ireland for The Royal Photographic Society.
To join the session
1. Like the YPS Facebook page by clicking here:
2. Click on https://facebook.com/ypsbengaluru/live/ on 31 Jan 2021 at 5.30pm IST.
1. Subscribe to YPS YouTube channel by clicking here
2. Click on https://youtube.com/ypsbengaluru/live/ on 31 Jan 2021 at 5.30pm IST.
About the Speaker
Brian has been interested in photography ever since he could “borrow” his Dad’s camera, head down to Mondello (a racetrack outside Dublin) and photograph motorcycle racing. He has had some of his most enjoyable days out there with a little photography and a bit of “craic” with the likes of the legendary Joey Dunlop and Conor McGinn. Sadly, too many Irish road-racers have been badly injured and have lost their lives in the sport – they give so much enjoyment to so many fans often for very meagre prizes. Brian still attends road-racing events and still enjoys the challenge involved in photographing this sport.
To broaden horizons, Brian regularly enters International Salons under the auspices of The Federation Internationale de l’Art Photographique – FIAP and The Photographic Society of America – PSA.
When you enter an International Salon “parish politics” don’t exist – you survive on the strength of your pictures. Irish photographers have, over the years, punched well above their weight in International Salons.
- To date Brian has amassed over 4000 acceptances with a total of over 520 awards in National and International photographic competitions.
- Brian was awarded his first FIAP Gold Medal in The Edinburgh Photographic Society’s 148th International Exhibition of Pictorial Photography – one of the most difficult salons to achieve acceptances where 1755 prints were entered from 41 countries and only 204 prints were accepted for the exhibition – an acceptance rate of 11.62%.
- In February 2011 he was awarded his first PSA Gold Medal in 24eme Salon Photo de Riedisheim in France.
- In May 2011 he was awarded his first London Salon of Photography medal, in their centenary year.
- In June 2011 Brian was awarded his first FIAP Blue Badge for the “Best Photographer” in The 3rd Great British Small Print Circuit (He received 51 acceptances with 3 awards). He is now the proud possessor of twenty (20) FIAP Blue Badges – a national record !
Brian was awarded the following distinctions from FIAP:
AFIAP (Artiste – FIAP) in February 2008,
EFIAP (Excellence – FIAP) in February 2011,
EFIAP/b (Excellence FIAP Bronze) in 2012,
EFIAP/s (Excellence FIAP Silver) in 2013,
EFIAP/g (Excellence FIAP Gold) in 2014,
EFIAP/p (Excellence FIAP Platinum) in 2015,
EFIAP/d1 (Excellence FIAP Diamond 1) in 2018,
EFIAP/d2 (Excellence FIAP Diamond 2) in April 2020 – the single highest FIAP distinction attained through international salon acceptances / awards by any photographer in Ireland (North or South) – there are a very limited number of photographers with EFIAP/d2 in the world.
- Brian achieved his Licentiate (LIPF) in 2003,
- Associateship (AIPF) in 2005 and
- Fellowship (FIPF) in 2008 with The Irish Photographic Federation
- Associateship (ARPS) in 2009 with The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain.
In December 2020 Brian was appointed as the Regional Organiser in Ireland for The Royal Photographic Society
The journey continues …
-YPS Executive Committee